Vision El Monte

Select the search type
  • Site
  • Web


Sign up below to receive the City of El Monte E-Newsletter.

You are here:   Government > Economic Development > Animal Control

Animal Control Division



During the City’s Animal Control Services transitional period from the Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care and Control, all Animal Control issues within the City of El Monte will be available Monday – Thursday from 7:30am until 4:30pm. LA County Department of Animal Care and Control will be assisting the City with after-hours and holiday emergency calls, only. The following constitutes emergency situations, which will be handled by LA County.

1)      Injured/Sick animal(s) (including wildlife/livestock) at large.

2)      Loose vicious/aggressive animal(s). *If an attack or bite occurred on the owners property and the dog is contained/secured on the property, that will not be considered an emergency for animal control.

3)      An animal(s) owner being taking into custody by law enforcement and the animal(s) need to be impounded.

4)      Animal(s) shot by Law enforcement.

Any other animal requests such as: dead pickups, loose dogs (non vicious/aggressive), confined, trapped, humane investigations (where animals do not require medical attention) will be addressed by Animal Control the next business day.


Responsibilities of Dog Owner

  • Licensure: As pet owners – make sure to license your pets.
  • Altering (Neutering): Helps control the pet populations by spay or neutering your pet and you can receive a reduced license fee.
  • Micro chipping: Is required and it may help in the return of your lost pet.
  • Vaccinations: It is required to keep your pets healthy by ensuring that they receive their rabies or booster shots.
  • Noise: Ensure your animals do not disturb others. Be considerate of all neighbors.
  • Caring for their Animals/Proper Confinement: Make sure your pets have sufficient food, water and shelter.  Please make every effort to prevent your animal from running at large.
  • Report Animal Cruelty/Neglect: Be the voice of the animals by reporting any suspected animal cruelty, abuse or neglect.
  • Take steps to prevent your animals from harming humans and other animals.


Responsibility of Animal Control

  • Enforce leash law: While out in public, make sure your dogs are on a leash not exceeding six (6’) feet in length.
  • Pick up Dead Animals: Report any dead animal at your residence or in the street for a pick up.
  • Investigate Barking Complaints: Any reports of excessive dog barking will be investigated.
  • Take Dog Bite Reports: All dog bite reports will be taken and forwarded to the proper department.
  • Ensure Kennel Laws are obeyed: If you run a kennel from your residence make sure you contact the animal control, planning and finance department for proper permits.
  • Enforce animal cruelty, neglect, license, and welfare laws.





General Information


City Hall West
11333 Valley Boulevard
El Monte, CA. 91731-3293
Phone: (626) 580-2080
Hours:  7:30 a.m. -  4:00 p.m.
  Monday through Thursday

Closed on Sundays and Major Holidays

For afterhours EMERGENCIES or if your animal has been impounded, call or visit Los Angeles County Animal Care and Control Baldwin Park Shelter at:  
4275 N. Elton St.  
Baldwin Park, CA 91706  
Phone: (626) 962-3577  

How are we doing?


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):